Search Capital Credits
Operation at cost is part of the cooperative difference.
When you signed up for electric service with HCREMC, you became a member of a non-profit electric cooperative. As a non-profit cooperative, HCREMC does not technically earn profits. Instead, any revenues left over after covering our operating expenses are allocated back to our members. These allocations are called capital credits.
How capital credits work:
- HCREMC tracks how much electricity you buy and how much money you pay for it throughout the year.
- At the end of the year, HCREMC completes financial matters and determines whether there is excess revenue, called margins.
- HCREMC allocates the margins to members capital credits based upon their use of electricity during the year.
- When HCREMC's financial condition permits, your board of directors decides to retire, or pay the capital credits.
- HCREMC notifies members of how, and when, they will receive capital credit retirements.
Visit our Capital Credits FAQ page for more information.
Things to know about retirements:
- Capital credits were returned in September 2016 to HCREMC members who have an inactive account with less than $100 in capital credit accumulation, as well as to those REMC members who accumulated capital credits between the years 1956 and 1960.
- When you receive a capital credit check, it is based on how much you paid for electric service during the specified retirement period.
- When sending out capital credit checks, the address used is the address we currently have on file at the REMC. If a member moved off the REMC system and did not provide a forwarding address, it is possible the check will be returned to the REMC.
- Returned checks will be held for two years.
- Members may use the search option found at the top of this page to see if their eligible for a capital credit check.
- Contact the HCREMC office at 1-800-248-8413 if you were eligible and did NOT received a check in Sept. 2016.
- If the member named on the account is deceased, an authorized heir may claim the amount by simply filling out the proper paperwork. For estate capital credit claims, please download the information packet below that pertains to the estates current situation. After downloading the proper information packet, please read the information carefully and follow the instructions for filing your claim. Mail the completed forms to our office for review at Attn: Capital Credits, Henry County REMC, P.O. Box D, New Castle, IN 47362. A cooperative representative will contact you if there are questions regarding the claim.
- ESTATE STILL OPEN
- There was an estate opened for the deceased and is still open.
- ESTATE CLOSED WITH NO SURVIVING SPOUSE
- There was an estate opened, but it has been closed and there is no surviving spouse.
- ESTATE CLOSED WITH SURVIVING SPOUSE
- There was an estate opened, but it has been closed and there is a surviving spouse.
- NO ESTATE
- There was not an Estate, Last Will & Testament or Living Trust.
- WILL OR LIVING TRUST
- There was not an Estate, but there was a Last Will & Testament or Living Trust.
- ESTATE STILL OPEN
For dissolved businesses, please contact the HCREMC office at 1-800-248-8413.